Kahnawà:ke Education Center (KEC) Kahnawà:ke, Quebec – 20 Seskéha/August 2021 - With the start of school forthcoming, the Kahnawake Education Center (KEC) would like to reassure our school community of the important safety measures we have implemented for the 2021/2022 school year.
Our staff has been working diligently to make sure we are prepared to welcome our students back on-site for orientation on September 1, 2021.
We will be following these same guidelines for on-site schooling:
- Masking for students from grades 1 to 11.
- Masking for all staff.
- ‘KEC COVID-19 Daily Health Checks’ for staff and students prior to arriving on-site.
- Smaller student bubbles while on-site.
- Usage of separate entrances and exits.
- Social distancing while in classrooms.
- Contract tracing logs for all students and staff.
- Daily disinfection procedures in all buildings.
- Encourage parental drop-off/pick-up for transportation to and from school.
- IN PROCESS OF IMPLEMENTATION: Non-invasive screenings for unvaccinated employees. The Kahnawà:ke Combined Schools Committee and KEC Directors are in full support of this measure to further support parental concerns.
“We have received feedback regarding our children being deeply impacted by school closures. This feedback focuses on the adverse effects on their social, emotional, and physical well-being. Therefore, it is important to stress the benefits these safety measures will have on the level of protection in our schools as we open our doors. The Delta Variant is present in our community and we have considered this while planning. Ultimately, we want our parents to feel at ease knowing their children are safe while in our schools”, said Robin Delaronde, Director of Education of KEC.
Some parents will still feel uneasy sending their child to school and, as such, we have re-opened registration for the KEC Home Learning Program to all elementary students. Guidelines and requirements will differ from last year and more collaboration will be required. Should parents wish to proceed with registration for the KEC Home Learning Program, we are asking to please contact your respective school to state your intentions by the deadline of 3:00 p.m. on Thursday, August 26, 2021. Parents who have already registered for medical purposes need not re-apply.
Further information regarding school openings will be relayed through your child’s school. We are collaborating with Mohawk Council of Kahnawake’s Transportation Department for the 2021/2022 school year. They will be releasing more information in the coming weeks regarding bussing. In the best interest of health and safety, please continue to follow the guidelines for masking, hygiene, and social distancing.
For additional information, please contact:
Jaime Dickson, Communications Officer